Saturday, September 28, 2019

Things about me that I wish to remember

Because memory is unreliable. And written fairly tersely because I don't feel I need to explain myself to myself.


  • I created my first email addresses around age 13 based on a nickname given me by an older kid I admired and wanted to be like. There's an A at the end that I've only accepted from one person. Perhaps I still do look up to those older than me, but now it seems unnecessary to seek their approval or reconnaissance.
  • I enjoy the idea of rituals, say reciting a particular dictum upon embarking on a new phase, or offering a symbolic gift to those in transition.
  • I worry that I may be a stingy person. I hope I am not seen as such by my friends and family, but as much as I enjoy careful and thoughtful gift-giving, I don't always remember the right occasions, or follow-through with my plans.
    • Examples:
      • Manou and Tom moving in to their first or second house. I could have given even a small gift.
      • My mom's birthday this year. I didn't remember to give her a card.
      • Upon the death of Pete Kerrigan's brother several years ago, I wished to record a song for him, "May the Road Rise to Meet You," but I never did and I still regret it.
      • I haven't given Linda the earrings from my mother from two Christmasses ago.
      • I don't remember my friends' birthdays, though these folks in Haiti always remember me with a little gift. So thoughtful! ugh.
End.

2 comments: